Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reuse, Recycle, Repurpose!

One of the reasons I love vintage treasures is that in so many cases they beg to be repurposed. I so often find myself asking not, "What is this?" but rather, "What could this be?"

For example, I couldn't bear to part with these crystal glasses.  Although each has a tiny chip, rendering it unsafe for drinking, each is still beautiful.  By grouping them on a tray and inserting tea lights, I created a lovely centrepiece.  I change the oddments on the tray with each season or holiday.



Another example is the Hoosier cupboard that I had for sale recently at Dead People's Stuff. For six months I told potential customers who looked at it not to think kitchen, but to think craft room, computer desk (demonstrating the pull-out enamel table top), games cupboard, laundry room storage, etc.  I finally realized that it was the perfect piece for our stereo system, CDs, DVDs and games, and moved it into my own family room!




Similarly, the old dresser mirror below had seen better days: its glazing was shabby and its joints decrepit.  Not worth fixing, but charming nonetheless.  So I thought I'd give it one more life by spraying it a funky lime green and hanging it on my front yard fence.  There it has resided for two years, reflecting pretty foliage in the summer and twinkling Christmas lights over the holidays.



And as you can see in the foreground above, no dilapidated wicker chair here goes to the dump without spending a season on the lawn or in the garden as a plant stand!


5 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I just found your blog and I love it. Can't wait to read future posts. I am also a new blogger, since August. I would be honored if you would check out and follow my blog too. You can find it at www.antiquesfortodayslifestyle.blogspot.com
    Sincerely, Lynn MacKerell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am too happy
    to share my knowledge here with friends.

    My homepage domestic appliance repairs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi to every one, because I am genuinely keen of reading this blog's post to be updated daily. It contains nice material.

    My website; CNC production

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for best food processor

    Stop by my site recruitment

    ReplyDelete